Autore Topic: introducing the "push the boundary" concept  (Letto 3260 volte)

Offline Moreno

• Strappamutande
introducing the "push the boundary" concept
« il: 04 Maggio 2013, 04:04:50 pm »
(si tratta di un colloquio con Barry Salter; il tema introduce dei post sull'estetica. In neretto le mie domande)

“A good book is a punch in the stomach” F Kafka

http://www.saatchionline.com/profiles/portfolio/id/349105

http://www.knifesculpture.com/

Your work shocks "normal"  knife makers . Why?
I don't set out to shock anybody. I am not a custom knife maker I only make for myself and I am not really too worried what other people think .I would prefer people to like it...but I just do it for myself .

I was trained as a painter and as a designer and spent 4 years at art school.Then I spent all of my working life as a designer or illustrator and have always  been involved in creative fields of work....mainly graphics. I worked for big brands all over the world.

A friend made me a knife about 10 years ago as a present....I was fascinated he had made it by hand, I felt it was a very special gift...and I decided I wanted to try and make a knife for myself.

I met people from British Blades who helped me with the basics ( I knew nothing at all about metal ) and two years later I had learnt to make a decent knife. In the early days I bought a knife from Guy Stainthorp ( a superb british maker..one of my favourites.) and decided that it would be my benchmark. I had to aim to make knives of his quality.
Did I ever get as good as Guy ? No I don't think so..........but with every knife I got better. And the quality of my work is now in my own eyes is good. You have to aim high.

But that was knife making and these days I really don't see myself as a knife maker. I see myself as an artist who uses knives as a way of looking at the world. I now take the workmanship and quality of making for granted what excites me now... is ideas.

This is what I set out to do.

*To produce new work...........something that has never been seen before.
* To have a unique style.....based around my Wharncliffe blade with a slot....which of course is the knife's eye !
* To Make my work recognisable. To have a visual signature
*To make the viewer smile and think about knives in another way.

In this Forum my works are classed as "fantasy" knives. Is this good or bad? Your knives are probably classed as "fantasy" too
what do you feel about being labelled as a particular  "type" of knife producer?

People have to create labels to describe peoples work .This happens in all walks of life. I probably see my work as surrealistic ,sometimes  even comical
or whimsical. Is it  fantasy ? I don't think so in my opinion...but then not too many knife forums have a Surreal category. And ultimately it's just a poor fitting label. Its no big deal. With some interest now happening from Art Galleries I expect in future I will be wrongly labelled there too .

I do like my physical activity ( I'm a damascus smith ) My output is bound up with physical effort. For me there is a close relationship between the craft and the art. With modern art this relationship is getting less important. What do you think...muscles or the mind ?
You are right in the past artists had to have great technical craft skills as well as ideas. They had to mix their paint and sharpen their chisels. Today there are some artists like Damian Hirst the British Artist who employ many people to actually make and produce his ideas for him. I think this is ok but it is not for me . For me it is important to make my own ideas with my own hands. However when you stand back and look at it other people are always involved...the men who made the steel...the men who made the Corian and the men who made my machines. So there is much sweat from others before we even start. None of us work truly alone.

For me now it is more about the creativity and less about making.
But I do make.......not as hard work as a maker of Damascus like you.....but hands on physical work which allows me to control every curve and line and to put my personality into the work and give it my soul and character.

You've broken the rule " A knife is a cutting tool " For me it still is a cutting tool ( But I am a traditionalist...an old fashioned guy ) But I'm interested in your opinion

Yes a knife has to be a tool.....for cutting or chopping. But I don't make tools...I'm making sculpture  its no better or worse  just different. It is displayed on a stand which is part of the concept. It is based on a knife.......and some of the people I have made for have asked for the piece not to be sharp because children may touch it on display. Some of my knifesculptures are sharp ..yes they could be used for cutting. But I create them as decorative sculpture.

I know you use O1 steel and you do your own heat treatment...is this a link with tradition. I do believe that the best way to preserve tradition is to innovate it.

Yes I like O1 its a forgiving steel easy to work with and I can heat treat it at my home with my forge setup. I have used stainless but I send that away for heat treatment. I prefer to do everything at home in my workshop. I like to feel that each knife has its own personality and its important to me that it goes through heat treatment to create the inner soul of the knifesculpture. Strange but true...as they will never be used.
I agree with you.........that there is no point in just following traditions without trying to innovate. We must move forward whilst respecting the past. We should not be backward looking or live facing the past this also applies to many things in life.

I don't like a macho approach to a blade. Do you think poetry can exist in a blade or in steel ?
I also do not like macho knives or over aggressive knives. A knife can be a dangerous weapon...or it can be an everyday item in the kitchen or a work of art. I much prefer the end of the spectrum where the knife is a thing of beauty. Perhaps this is more to do with the hand that holds a knife and the eyes that see it.
Without doubt a knife can be visual poetry..............as can each part of a knife . A blade can be plain......or wonderful forge welded pattern... made with incredible skill. But if it is made with insight, commitment ,belief and passion then I think all those qualities are transferred to and live on in the work.. and this makes it very special.

To close let me quote again:
“When the past makes you laugh and you can savor the magic
That let you survive your own war
You find that that fire is passion
And there is a door up ahead not a wall”  L Reed

Moreno Feltresi

Offline silale

• Sventrapapere
Re:introducing the "push the boundary" concept
« Risposta #1 il: 04 Maggio 2013, 05:44:17 pm »
Interessante questo colloquio, specialmente quando chiedi se un a lama o un acciaio, può essere poesia, ti avrei risposto la stessa cosa.

Epigrafe di una lama

Lascio queste lame
a chi ricorderà la mia vita,
trasportandola nelle lontane età
traspiranti di mistica memoria,
camminando con giganti di incerte favole
trasportati da brezze marine
fino ai confini del firmamento,
in questo singolare mondo,
dove mortali stupiti fioriranno
liberando la loro brama illimitata,
riportando i loro cervelli a sognare.
ora vi abbandono
lasciandovi il mio acciaio
sospeso nel tempo,
sarà a voi, se ricordare questo sogno.

Rampini Silvano

La vita è come un campo di fave,
ti devi mettere a 90 gradi, per raccoglierle,
ed arriva sempre qualcuno ad incularti...
ma se vuoi mangiare...

Offline silale

• Sventrapapere
« Risposta #2 il: 04 Maggio 2013, 05:48:25 pm »

Interessante questo colloquio, specialmente quando chiedi se un a lama o un acciaio, può essere poesia, ti avrei risposto la stessa cosa.

:)

Epigrafe di una lama

Lascio queste lame
a chi ricorderà la mia vita,
trasportandola nelle lontane età
traspiranti di mistica memoria,
camminando con giganti di incerte favole
trasportati da brezze marine
fino ai confini del firmamento,
in questo singolare mondo,
dove mortali stupiti fioriranno
liberando la loro brama illimitata,
riportando i loro cervelli a sognare.
ora vi abbandono
lasciandovi il mio acciaio
sospeso nel tempo,
sarà a voi, se ricordare questo sogno.

Cosa è successo...
Rampini Silvano

ma se vuoi mangiare...

Offline Moreno

• Strappamutande
« Risposta #3 il: 05 Maggio 2013, 07:57:47 am »
Grazie Silvano della partecipazione. :)

(sembra un bigliettino da funerale...ma non lo è naturalmente!!)

Moreno Feltresi

Offline silale

• Sventrapapere
« Risposta #4 il: 05 Maggio 2013, 10:05:11 am »
Grazie Silvano della partecipazione. :)

(sembra un bigliettino da funerale...ma non lo è naturalmente!!)

Teoricamente varca la soglia del presente, in un futuro dove purtroppo(speriamo il più tardi possibile) non ci saremo più e le nostre opere si... L'acciaio o le parole, viaggeranno nel tempo e saranno giudicate o usate, ricordando la vita di chi la fatta, questo oltre sudore e passione e la poesia dell'acciaio o di una lama..... Io la vedo cosi.
Rampini Silvano

ma se vuoi mangiare...